Monday, September 5, 2011

Sadly...

I had to enquire about my friends and those whom I had interacted with 6 years ago. Almost all the women I talked to in Kipsongo had lost their husbands. Some had been jailed; others had succumbed to HIV/AIDS; others had just disappeared. The lucky ones had returned to Turkana after promises of restitution by family members. The young men and women whom we had worked with in the past during our previous project had moved out of Kipsongo and were either wagers, doing all sorts of odd jobs in Kitale or especially the girls engaged in prostitution. Those who remained in the village were desperate.
This continued to demonstrate to me the consistent and deliberate attempt by the Kitale society to associate these internally displaced pastoralists of Kipsongo with all manner of ills and so everyone has trampled on their freedom and rights with impunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment